Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Interacting with YouTube videos - A Do or Don't?

I love YouTube, it has everything. Type in any subject and you're bound to get hundreds of videos on that subject.

As an example, I recently picked up playing the violin with my daughter. She's 4 and is working hard through Twinkle Twinkle and Lightly Row. I've never played a string instrument before but played wind instruments for many years so I've moved a few paces ahead of her. I've gotten to a point where my teacher thought I should learn the vibrato. Essentially moving the hand in a rhythm so that you hear that rich, expressive sound that string instruments are known for. I typed in violin vibrato in YouTube and instantly I had hundreds of new teachers to show me the best tips and tricks to do it. So, long-winded way to say, YouTube rocks!

YouTube also has a rich community of friendly folks who love to make an post videos. That's something the cable networks don't have; real people that you can actually communicate with. But this is done mostly in the comments section. What's missing is a way to communicate or interact on the video.



I created a few videos in an attempt to introduce some interactions with the viewer. A way for the viewer to select what direction they want the video to go next. So in my first video, I did a Choose-your-adventure type where you can choose the direction of the character. My second video is an educational video where you can select an answer and it'll take you down the correct or incorrect path.

Check them out and let me know if this is something that you as a viewer like and want to see more of or it's not that interesting.




No comments:

Post a Comment