Friday, March 27, 2015

Painting and Decorating Easter Eggs


Easter means time for lots of egg decorating and coloring!  This year I picked up a few kits to try.

The first kit is from the dollar store. The egg clamp and spinner caught my eye and I was instantly intrigued. I've always found it hard to color all the way around the egg without getting paint all over the hands.

With this kit, you simply snap in a egg into the clamp and then paint away. It even comes with a paintbrush and paint! What a deal!

I found that the clamp works best with medium or small eggs. My jumbo egg barely made it. In fact, my second egg cracked while trying to squeeze it in.

The paint wasn't the greatest. I had to mix it up a bit to get deeper colors. And the brush was pretty bad too. It was thin an stiff and I believe I splattered more paint outside of the egg than on the egg...I would use a different paint and brush next with this kit to make painting less frustrating.

The second kit is Dudley's Roll It kit. It is about $5, which is a good deal for all the pieces it came in. The kit came with a paint tray, 6 colors, 6 rollers, and a bunch of egg discs to elevate the egg from the table.

This kit was a lot of fun. The rollers were easy to use and really allowed you to spread the colors around. I was able to wash the rollers and the tray after using it so that they can be used for another paint project.

What's really nice about this kit is that you just start painting. Most other kits need you to dunk the egg in a cup of coloring first then wait for it to dry before you can decorate it. With small kids, who has the patience to do that! Give them a white egg and they can start rolling! My girls had half a dozen eggs finished in no time.

I'd advise that you also get the egg scissors, really good for picking up wet eggs :)

Watch the videos below for a demo of each kit!





No comments:

Post a Comment